|Practical Life - Fine Motor Skills|
|Prerequisites||Using a Baster|
2 small glasses
The purpose of this activity is to teach the child to use an eyedropper. The activity also prepares the child for activities that require an eyedropper.
- Carry the material to a table.
- Take the dropper and put the end in the water. Squeeze the bulb until bubbles appear in the water, then release the bulb so the water will be drawn in.
- Move the dropper over the other glass and squeeze the water out.
- Repeat until all the water has been moved to the other class.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
- if water drips on the tray the child will know they need to be more careful
Variations and Extensions
- The child could transfer water using a pipette.
Where to Buy
Dropper Bottle (1 oz)
Walgreens $2.49 (2 droppers, no bottles)
Amazon $0.55 (amber glass)
Montessori Services $0.50 (clear or amber, dropper sold separately: $0.50)
U.S. Plastic Corp. $1.56 (clear glass, dropper included)
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, page 41