From Montessori Album
|We've updated our prices on products from many online Montessori stores! If we've missed your favorite store, please let us know!|
|Practical Life - Sewing|
small bowl or box
In this activity the child learns how to cut yarn. This is a skill the child will need for sewing activities.
- Invite the child to the lesson. Show them where the material is on the shelf and name the work.
- Select a piece of yarn from the bowl and place it on the tray.
- Take the tray to a mat or table.
- Hold the yarn in your subdominant hand and make a little loop near one end.
- Take the scissors in your dominant hand. Open the scissors and put the bottom blade through the loop of yarn.
- Cut the yarn.
- Put the short piece of yarn into the little bowl.
- Continue this process until the yarn has all been cut into short pieces.
- When you are finished, empty the bowl of cut-up yarn into the trash. (Or put the pieces in an envelope to take home.)
- Return the tray to the shelf.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
- String, thread, or ribbon could also be cut.