Division With the Stamp Game
|We've updated our prices on products from many online Montessori stores! If we've missed your favorite store, please let us know!|
|Division With the Stamp Game|
|Math - Arithmetical Operations|
|Prerequisites||Understanding of Decimal System|
|Materials||Stamp Game Set|
strip of paper
This activity teaches the child division at a higher level of abstraction.
- Take the material to a table. (Could also be done on a very smooth mat with a clipboard for writing.) Start with a problem that won't require exchanging and that won't have a remainder.
- Lay out the stamps for the first number in the problem.
- Remind the child that the second number in a division problem shows how many people you are dividing amongst.
- Set the skittles for the divisor as shown.
- Start divvying out the thousands.
- Then divvy out the hundreds.
- Divvy out the tens.
- Divvy out the units.
- Remind the child the answer is the amount that each person gets. Record the answer on the paper.
This is done in the same way as Static Division, except that exchanging must take place.
- step one
- step two
- step three
- step four
- step five
- step six
- step seven
- step eight
- step nine
- step ten
- step eleven
- step twelve
- step thirteen
- step fourteen
- step fifteen
- step sixteen
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
A standard stamp game set includes 81 unit stamps, 81 ten stamps, 81 hundred stamps, 18 thousand stamps, 9 unit skittles, 9 ten skittles, 9 hundred skittles, 1 thousand skittle, 9 green circles, 9 blue circles, and 9 red circles.
Make Your Own
|Stamp Game tiles in color||Stamp Game tiles in black and white||Problem Slips - Division Stamp Game|
Where to Buy
Prices and links checked: 23 January 2022
(Amazon/Bookshop are affiliate links, which help cover costs of running the site.)
|Introduction to the Stamp Game|
|E & O||$44.10|
|Material Company of Boston||$48.00|