From Montessori Album
Our latest free printables are cards for the Logical Adjective Game and the Logical Adverb Game.
|Practical Life - Sewing|
|Age||4.5 - 5|
|Prerequisites||Lacing Cards |
Threading a Needle
|Materials||chalk or washable marker |
embroidery floss or yarn
small embroidery hoop
square of fabric
In this activity the child learns how to do embroidery.
- Carry the tray to a mat or table.
- Draw a shape on the fabric with the chalk. (Do this inside the hoop to be sure the shape will fit.)
- Loosen the screw to separate the hoops.
- Set the inner hoop on the tray.
- Lay the fabric over the inner hoop.
- Line up the outer loop on top and press it into place.
- Tighten the screw on the outer loop.
- Thread the needle as was learned in Threading a Needle.
- Tie a knot in the end of the yarn.
- Start with the needle on the back side of the fabric. Press gently to make a little bump to be sure the needle will come through in the right place.
- Push the needle through the fabric.
- Move your hand to the front of the fabric and pull the needle. When the needle is pulled through far enough, grasp it near the eye so you are also holding the yarn from slipping off the needle.
- Pull the yarn all the way through. Check the back to be sure that it is not tangled.
- Continue making evenly spaced stitches all the way around the shape.
- Be sure to end with your yarn on the back side of the fabric.
- Remove the needle and place it in the holder.
- Tie a knot in the yarn, keeping it as close to the fabric as possible.
- Cut off the excess yarn.
- Set the excess yarn aside.
Flip the embroidery hoop the the front side.
- Turn the screw on the embroidery hoop counter-clockwise to loosen it. (Do not loosen it so much that the screw comes out.
- Remove the top hoop.
- The embroidery is now free and can be taken home.
- Throw away the excess yarn, or put it aside for another project.
- Take the tray back to the shelf.
- Place a new piece of fabric and a new loop of yarn to the tray so it will be ready for the next person to use.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
- More ideas for sewing activities: Montessori Workjobs