|We've updated our prices on products from many online Montessori stores! If we've missed your favorite store, please let us know!|
|Introduction to the Fraction Insets|
|Math - Fractions|
|Materials||four fraction skittles|
This material is used only at the Elementary level.
- Carry the fraction skittles one at a time to a mat or table. Place them in the upper right corner.
- Take the whole fraction skittle and hold it upside down. Trace the edge of the base with two fingers. "This is one whole."
- Take the halves fraction skittle and hold it upside down in the other hand to show that the two skittles are the same size.
- Set them side-by-side on the mat.
- Take the halves fraction skittle and show that it comes apart in two equal pieces. "One, two. There are two halves."
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
There is a very different and separate presentation for this work at the elementary level. AMI albums do not have a primary level presentation on this material.
In elementary, children work with dividing fractions by fractions using these fraction skittles. They are quickly introduced to the concept of which is which (what is described here as the "primary presentation", and they catch on quickly. The primary presentation does not seem necessary.
Make Your Own
- Fraction circles could be made from different colors of felt:
- (For a description of how these were made, see Counting Coconuts.)
Where to Buy
Prices and links checked: 23 January 2022