|Welcome to Montessori Album! We've been online for over ten years (yay!), but unfortunately we've had a lot of spam accounts over time. We didn't have a good way of sorting them out...so took the extreme measure of wiping everything before November 2019.|
We're so sorry! We've setup measures to prevent such drastic action again. Please recreate your account if it doesn't work.
|Sensorial - Visual Discrimination of Form|
|Age||3 - 6|
|Prerequisites||pincer grasp |
This activity teaches the child 2-dimensional geometric shapes and their names, preparing them for geometry.
Introduction to the Shapes
- Take the presentation tray to a rug or table.
- Pick any shape and lift it out by the little knob with your subdominant hand.
- Hold the shape exposing the back side and run index and middle fingers counter-clockwise.
- Allow child to trace the shape.
- Place the inset in an adjacent square.
- Do the same with the other two shapes.
- Do a three period lesson on the names of the shapes.
- To replace the shapes, first trace one of the frames with your dominant hand in a counter-clockwise direction.
- Find the shape that matches and put back in place.
- Later, do other lessons with three shapes at a time.
Mixing and Replacing
- Take one of the drawers to a mat or table.
- Remove one of the shapes and trace the back as before.
- Place the shape below the drawer.
- Do the same with the other shapes in the drawer. Place them in mixed-up order.
- Trace the first frame as in the introductory lesson.
- Look for the shape that fits the frame.
- Trace the back of the shape.
- Place the shape in the frame.
- Replace the other shapes in the same way.
- Later, select two drawers and mix the shapes from both. Replace as was done with one drawer.
- Later, do the same with three drawers, then four. Eventually, the child may mix all six drawers together.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
The shapes with only fit in the correct frames.
Variations and Extensions
- Have the child look for objects from the environment that are examples of each shape.
Make Your Own
- Free laser cutting plans on Thingiverse (includes patterns for cards)
- Free laser cutting plans for cabinet on Thingiverse
Where to Buy
Absorbent Montessori $132.00
Absorbent Montessori $187.00 (premium)
Affordable Montessori $135.00
Affordable Montessori $169.00 (premium)
Affordable Montessori $199.00 (plastic)
Albanesi $873.00 (includes presentation tray)
Alison's $350.00 (premium)
E & O $330.00
Hello Wood $569.00
Kid Advance $134.99
Materials Company of Boston $260.00 (shapes not included - $140.00)
Montessori Concepts $115.00
Montessori N' Such $250.00
Montessori Outlet $118.95
Absorbent Montessori $43.00
Affordable Montessori $39.00
Alison's $50.00 (premium)
E & O $52.00
Hello Wood $111.00
Kid Advance $24.99
Materials Company of Boston $75.00 (3 shapes not included - $25.00)
Montessori Concepts $24.00
Montessori N' Such $25.00
Montessori Outlet $27.95
Absorbent Montessori $32.00
Affordable Montessori $29.00
Albanesi $54.00 (includes boxes)
Alison's $50.00 (includes cabinet)
Alison's $7.99 (PDF only)
E & O $64.00 (includes cabinet)
Hello Wood $32.00
IFIT $3.00 (9 cards)
Kid Advance $19.99
Kid Advance $3.99 (9 cards)
Materials Company of Boston $33.00
Materials Company of Boston $20.00 (9 cards for demo tray)
Montessori Concepts $17.50
Montessori Outlet $11.95
Montessori Outlet $1.95 (9 cards for demo tray)
Absorbent Montessori $14.00
Affordable Montessori $15.00
E & O $64.00 (includes cards)
Hello Wood $59.00
Hello Wood $79.00 (trapezoidal shaped)
Kid Advance $19.99
Materials Company of Boston $45.00
Montessori Outlet $17.95
3 Section Card Box
Affordable Montessori $28.00
Affordable Montessori $9.00
Kid Advance $9.99
Materials Company of Boston $30.00
Montessori Outlet $11.95 (shelves)
Montessori Outlet $7.95 (box)
Advanced Triangle Labels
- Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives by David Gettman, pages 84-88
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, pages 63, 65, 108-109