Our latest free printables are cards for the Logical Adjective Game and the Logical Adverb Game.
|Sensorial - Visual Discrimination of Form|
|Age||3.5 - 6|
|Prerequisites||discrimination of form |
|Materials||Ten geometric solids: |
square based pyramid
triangular based pyramid
Use of this material makes the child familiar with 3 dimensional geometric shapes and teaches their names. This activity prepares the child for geometry.
Introduction to the solids
- Select three solids and carry them to a mat or table (these can be carried in a small basket).
- Name the first solid shape. Allow the child plenty of time to look at and feel the solid.
- Present the other two objects in the same way.
- Do a Three Period Lesson.
Identification by touch alone
Introduction to the bases
Solids with bases
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
- Take one solid out at a time.
- Let the child make the shapes with blue clay.
- Have the child look for objects from the environment that are examples of each shape.
- A triangular based pyramid can also be called a tetrahedron.
- An ovoid is smaller at one end (like an egg), an ellipsoid has ends that are the same.
- An Ellipsoid is the same shape as that of a rugby ball.
The triangular based pyramid can also be called a tetrahedron. The difference between the ovoid and the ellipsoid is that the ovoid is smaller at one end like an egg.
Make Your Own
This material would be difficult to make on your own without some pretty good woodworking skills. There are, however, similar, far less expensive sets of geometric solids for sale online that were designed to be used in math classrooms. These are a bit smaller than the Montessori version. Neither set has an ovoid, but as the author of one blog pointed out, an ovoid might be easy to find in a craft store after Easter.
Where to Buy
Prices and links checked: 07 October 2020
|Geometric Solids with Plane Figures|
|Best Montessori Toys||$99.00|
|E & O||$161.10|
|Geometric Solids (no plane figures)|
|E & O
|Materials Co. of Boston
no triangular based pyramid
|Montessori N' Such||$49.99|
|E & O||$19.80|
|Materials Co. of Boston||$22.00|
|Montessori N' Such||$18.00|
no triangular prism
not cut out, no triangular prism
not laminated, not cut out
|Three Stands for Round Shapes|
- Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives by David Gettman, page 110-115