From Montessori Album
|Welcome to Montessori Album! We've been online for over ten years (yay!), but unfortunately we've had a lot of spam accounts over time. We didn't have a good way of sorting them out...so took the extreme measure of wiping everything before November 2019.|
We're so sorry! We've setup measures to prevent such drastic action again. Please recreate your account if it doesn't work.
|Math - Introduction to the Decimal System|
|Age||4 - 5|
|Prerequisites||Association of Beads and Cards|
|Materials||large number cards |
set of golden beads
This activity teaches the child the association of the numerals and the quantities.
The presentations can be done in any order.
- Lay out two large mats side by side.
- Lay out the unit number cards along the right edge of the rug as shown. Lay out the appropriate number of unit beads to the left of each card.
- Lay out the tens number cards as shown. Lay out the appropriate number of ten bars to the left of each card.
- Lay out the hundred number cards as shown. Lay out the appropriate number of hundred squares to the left of each card.
- Lay out the thousand number cards as shown. Lay out the appropriate number of thousand cubes to the left of each card.
- Lay out three mats end to end. Add extra mats if the ones you have aren't wide enough to fit everything.
- next step
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
Make Your Own
Where to Buy
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, pages 41-42