From Montessori Album
|We've updated our prices on products from many online Montessori stores! If we've missed your favorite store, please let us know!|
|Math - Introduction to the Decimal System|
|Age||4 - 5|
|Prerequisites||Association of Beads and Cards|
|Materials||large number cards |
set of golden beads
Also sometimes referred to as The 45 Layout because 45 of each place value bead item are needed.
This activity teaches the child the association of the numerals and the quantities.
The presentations can be done in any order.
- Lay out two large mats side by side.
- Lay out the unit number cards along the right edge of the rug as shown. Lay out the appropriate number of unit beads to the left of each card.
- Lay out the tens number cards as shown. Lay out the appropriate number of ten bars to the left of each card.
- Lay out the hundred number cards as shown. Lay out the appropriate number of hundred squares to the left of each card.
- Lay out the thousand number cards as shown. Lay out the appropriate number of thousand cubes to the left of each card.
- Lay out three mats end to end. Add extra mats if the ones you have aren't wide enough to fit everything.
- next step
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
Make Your Own
Where to Buy
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, pages 41-42