|We've updated our prices on products from many online Montessori stores! If we've missed your favorite store, please let us know!|
|Sensorial - Visual Discrimination of Size|
|Age||2.5 - 3.5|
|Prerequisites||Pink Tower |
|Materials||set of Long Rods|
(Also called the Red Rods)
Use of this material teaches the child visual discrimination of length. This activity also prepares the child to use the blue and red Number Rods.
- Invite the child to the lesson. Unroll a rug. Show where the work is on the shelf and name the lesson.
- Starting with the shortest rod, carry the rods one at a time to the rug. Place them on the rug in mixed-up order with all of the edges lined up on the left.
- Move the longest rod and then the shortest rod to the bottom of the rug. Point to the longest one and say, "This one is long." Point the the short one and say, "This one is short." Then mix the rods back in with the rest.
- Select the longest rod and place it at the top edge of the rug. Find the next longest rod and place it just below the longest rod touching it.
- Continue until all of the rods are in order.
- Clean up: Starting with the longest rod, carry the rods one at a time back to the shelf. Roll up and put away the rug.
Segment on Long Rods begins at 28:22.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
Source: Adventures of a Rainbow Mama
Long Red Rod Snail pattern on a printed card and the execution (Counter Clock)
Introduces the vocabulary:
short, shorter, shortest
long, longer, longest
This material consists of ten wooden rods, usually painted red. The shortest rod is 10cm in length, they each increase in length by 10cm up to the longest which is 100cm long.
Make Your Own
Take the opportunity to make these with your kids (including carefully cutting the rods).
(You'll need to buy 10cm + 20cm + ... + 100cm = 5.5 meters long of good quality wood, eg. oak). The ends should measure about 3x3 cm.
(It is possible to use "half-size" rods with the longest rod being 50cm, and the shortest 5cm, with 1.5 x 1.5cm ends. This might be preferable for a homeschool environment with limited space.)
Where to Buy
Prices and links checked: 23 January 2022
|E & O||$88.20|
|Materials Co. of Boston||$105.00|
- Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives by David Gettman, pages 78-80