Reading with Pictures
From Montessori Album
|We've updated our prices on products from many online Montessori stores! If we've missed your favorite store, please let us know!|
|Reading with Pictures|
|Language - Reading|
|Materials||pictures with phonetic names |
In this activity the child matches words to pictures.
Cards are available to print below.
- Carry the material to a mat or table. Place the tray in the upper right corner.
- Take the picture cards and lay them across the top of the workspace.
- Take the first word card and sound it out.
- Find the picture that it matches and set the word below it.
- Continue doing this until all the cards have been matched to the correct picture.
- Mix up the cards at the end so it will be ready for the next person to use.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
- If a child seems to be guessing the words based on the first letter of the word, try grouping the cards by beginning sound (put bed, bat, bib, and bell together).
- After the child seem to have no trouble matching consonant-vowel-consonant (CVC) words move on to VCC and CVCC words, then CCVC words, then words with consonant digraphs, and then vowel digraphs. Last, do longer words and words that have digraphs and blends.
- (Don't feel you have to follow this order too strictly. This is just the general order of increasing difficulty.) (PDF cards coming soon!)
Make Your Own
- Printable Picture Word Matching Cards (as seen above, 63 pictures)
Use only a few at a time, of course. Rotate them out on a regular basis (once a week, maybe).
Where to Buy
- Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives by David Gettman, pages 150-152
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, pages 110, 128-129