From Montessori Album
|We've updated our prices on products from many online Montessori stores! If we've missed your favorite store, please let us know!|
|Language - Language Foundation|
|Materials||lined paper |
selection of pictures
In this activity a young child glues a picture to the top of a piece of paper and the dictates a story about the picture to an adult who then writes the story on the paper. This allows the child to practice organizing their thoughts into words for writing before they have the ability to put those words down on paper (or with the moveable alphabet) on their own.
The material should be arranged on the shelf as shown. The tray should have only one sheet of paper on it, the rest of the paper should be on a stack next to the tray. Next to that should be the magazine pictures.
- Have the child select a picture from the basket and put it on the tray. Have the child carry the tray to a table.
- Lay the paper on the table. Check to see how the picture fits on the paper.
- Trim the edges of the picture to remove unwanted portions, and so it will fit at the top of the page.
- Glue the picture to the top of the paper.
- Have the child dictate a sentence or two about the picture for the teacher to write down.
- After the child puts the tray back on the shelf he should put another sheet of paper on it so that it will be ready for the next child.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
- Children could also draw a picture instead of cutting and pasting one.
- Older children use the material also, but can write out the words on their own.
- Photos of the children themselves (from field-trips perhaps) could be used.
- Children may prefer to dictate longer stories without pictures.
- Children could write stories with multiple pages, then put them together as a little book.
Make Your Own
|Picture-Top 5 Lines||Full Page 9 Lines|
- Donna Young - website with free printable handwriting paper of different types
- Handwriting Worksheet Maker
Where to Buy
Prices and links checked: 23 January 2022
|Montessori Writing Paper|