Subtraction With Bead Bars
From Montessori Album
|We've updated our prices on products from many online Montessori stores! If we've missed your favorite store, please let us know!|
|Subtraction With Bead Bars|
|Math - Memory Work|
|Age||4 - 5|
|Materials||two bead stairs (1-10 and 1-9) |
pointer for counting
subtraction problem slips
table-mat (if at table)
This activity allows the child to figure out subtraction facts.
- Take the material to a mat or table. (If at a table, you will need a table-mat.)
- Draw a problem slip and copy it to the paper.
- Take the bead bar for the first number in the problem (the minuend) from the first bead stair.
- Count off with the pointer the second number in the problem (the subtrahend) starting from the right.
- Leave the counter in place and point with a finger to count the remaining beads.
- Take a bead bar from the second bead stair that matches up with the number of remaining beads. This is the answer. Write the answer on the paper.
- For problems in which the first number is greater than ten start by writing the problem on the paper.
- Then lay out the first number as a combination of a ten bar and the appropriate smaller bead bar.
- Count from the right as before, then leave the counter in place and count the remaining beads with your finger.
- Find the bead bar for the answer from the second bead stair. Record the answer on the paper.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, page 19, 69-70