Subtraction With Strip Board
|We've updated our prices on products from many online Montessori stores! If we've missed your favorite store, please let us know!|
|Subtraction With Strip Board|
|Math - Memory Work|
This activity gives the child practice figuring out and memorizing subtraction facts.
- Take the material to a mat or table. Lay out as shown.
- The first page should have just one problem: 18-9=
- The next page should have two problems: 17-9= and 17-8=
- Take the 9 strip and cover up the numbers starting from the end. The last visible number is the answer.
- Then take the 8 strip and cover up the numbers starting from the end. The last visible number is the answer.
- next step
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
This material is kind of a mess. Why can't the frame come right to the edges of the chart? Almost every kid who tries this the first time slides those strips of wood up against the frame and gets the answers all off by one.
And surely we can come up with a different system than using all those ridiculous wooden strips to cover up the numbers at the top. This is needlessly complicated.
Make Your Own
|Printable Strip Board - in color||Printable Number Strips - outlines||Printable Subtraction Fact Slips|
Where to Buy
Prices and links checked: 23 January 2022
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, pages 24, 66