Teens Board With Beads
From Montessori Album
|We've updated our prices on products from many online Montessori stores! If we've missed your favorite store, please let us know!|
|Teens Board With Beads|
|Math - Linear Counting|
|Prerequisites||Teens Beads |
This activity teaches the child the names of the numbers 11-19.
- Lay out the boards as shown. Set 9 ten bars and a bead stair on a small mat.
- Stack the cards face down with 1 on the top.
- Take a ten bar and place it to the left of the first 10. Point to the ten bar: "This is ten." Point to the number: "This says ten."
- Take the unit bead bar and place it to the right of the ten bar. "Ten and one: eleven." Count the beads.
- Slide the 1 numeral card over the zero in the first 10. "Eleven." Point to the beads: "This is eleven." Point to the number: "This says eleven."
- Build the other numbers in the same way.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
Make Your Own
- An easy alternative would be to simply make a set of cards just like those used for the work with the Golden Beads, only for this set you would need nine "10" cards plus the unit cards 1-9.
- These could be made out of poster board:
- (For a detailed description of how this was done, see A Handmade Childhood.)
- These were made from strips of masonite with strips of wooden dowels used for dividers. The numbers were printed on self adhesive paper and then stuck on.
- Source: Maybe Montessori
Where to Buy
Prices and links checked: 23 January 2022
- Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives by David Gettman, pages 177-179
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, pages 21, 53