Teens Board With Beads
|Teens Board With Beads|
|Math - Linear Counting|
|Prerequisites||Teens Beads |
This activity teaches the child the names of the numbers 11-19.
- Lay out the boards as shown. Set 9 ten bars and a bead stair on a small mat.
- Stack the cards face down with 1 on the top.
- Take a ten bar and place it to the left of the first 10. Point to the ten bar: "This is ten." Point to the number: "This says ten."
- Take the unit bead bar and place it to the right of the ten bar. "Ten and one: eleven." Count the beads.
- Slide the 1 numeral card over the zero in the first 10. "Eleven." Point to the beads: "This is eleven." Point to the number: "This says eleven."
- Build the other numbers in the same way.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
Make Your Own
- An easy alternative would be to simply make a set of cards just like those used for the work with the Golden Beads, only for this set you would need nine "10" cards plus the unit cards 1-9.
- These could be made out of poster board:
- (For a detailed description of how this was done, see A Handmade Childhood.)
- These were made from strips of masonite with strips of wooden dowels used for dividers. The numbers were printed on self adhesive paper and then stuck on.
- Source: Maybe Montessori
Where to Buy
Affordable Montessori $39.00 (with beads)
Montessori N' Such $49.50
Montessori Outlet $30.95 (USA print)
Montessori Outlet $30.95 (cursive)
Nienhuis $75.00 (USA print)
Nienhuis $75.00 (print)
Nienhuis $75.00 (cursive)
Kid Advance $7.99
Montessori Concepts $7.00
Montessori N' Such $16.00
Montessori Outlet $6.95
Nienhuis $19.50 (connected nylon beads)
Nienhuis $24.00 (individual nylon beads)
Nienhuis $28.50 (glass beads)
- Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives by David Gettman, pages 177-179
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, pages 21, 53