|Welcome to Montessori Album! We've been online for over ten years (yay!), but unfortunately we've had a lot of spam accounts over time. We didn't have a good way of sorting them out...so took the extreme measure of wiping everything before November 2019.|
We're so sorry! We've setup measures to prevent such drastic action again. Please recreate your account if it doesn't work.
|Math - Linear Counting|
|Age||4.5 - 5|
|Materials||Tens Boards |
number cards 1-9
9 ten bars
9 unit beads
bowl for units
Also called Seguin Board 2, or Seguin Board B.
This activity teaches the child tens units.
- Lay out the material on a mat as shown.
- Point to the number 10 on the board.
- Place a ten bar to the right.
- step four
- step five
- step six
- step seven
- step eight
- step nine
- step ten
- step eleven
- Continue as long as the child shows interest.
Points of Interest
- sliding the cards into the slots
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
Make Your Own
- An easy alternative would be to simply make a set of cards just like those used for the work with the Golden Beads, only for this set you would need a set of "tens" cards plus a set of "units" cards.
- These were made from strips of masonite with strips of wooden dowels used for dividers. The numbers were printed on self adhesive paper and then stuck on.
- Source: Maybe Montessori
Where to Buy
Affordable Montessori $39.00 (with beads)
Montessori N' Such $49.50
Montessori Outlet $30.95 (USA print)
Montessori Outlet $30.95 (cursive)
Nienhuis $75.00 (USA print)
Nienhuis $75.00 (print
Nienhuis $75.00 (cursive)
Kid Advance $7.50
Montessori Concepts $7.00
Montessori N' Such $15.00
Montessori Outlet $6.95
Nienhuis $22.20 (connected nylon beads)
Nienhuis $24.00 (individual nylon beads)
Nienhuis $28.50 (glass beads)
- Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives by David Gettman, pages 179-181
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, pages 21, 54-56