The Kindergarten Guide, Volume 1: The Gifts
Our latest free printables are cards for the Logical Adjective Game and the Logical Adverb Game.
|The Kindergarten Guide, Volume 1: The Gifts|
|Author||by Maria Kraus-Boelté & John Kraus|
|Publisher||E. Streigner & Co.|
This book introduced Froebel's concept of Kindergarten to America.
It describes the manipulatives designed by Froebel and the ways they are used to teach various concepts to young children.
- The First Gift: The Ball
- The Second Gift: Sphere, Cylinder, and Cube
- The Third Gift: eight identical wooden cubes
- The Fourth Gift: eight identical wooden blocks (1 x 2 x 4)
- The Fifth Gift: like gift three but some with diagonal divisions
- The Sixth Gift: like the fourth gift but with additional divisions
- The Seventh Gift: parquetry tablets
- The Eighth Gift: connected slats
- The Ninth Gift: The Disconnected Slat
- The Tenth Gift: thin sticks and graph board
- The Eleventh Gift: rings and half-circles
- The Twelfth Gift: The Thread Game
- The Thirteenth Gift: The Point (dots of the graph board)
The designs made with the flat right triangles (page 197-215) are pretty much the same thing as the Constructive Triangles - Blue Triangles Box. These predate Montessori by a few decades.
This book is in the public domain. The full text is available from a few places: