5 Classes of Vertebrates Sorting
From Montessori Album
|5 Classes of Vertebrates Sorting|
|Science - Zoology|
|Materials||pictures of the five different types of vertebrates|
Labels: Fish, Amphibians, Reptiles, Birds, Mammals
In this activity the child sorts pictures of vertebrate animals depending on whether they are fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, or mammals.
- Take the material to a mat or table.
- Explain to the child (or children) that there are five different types of vertebrates.
- Describe the differences between the types.
- Place the labels at the top of the workspace.
- Sort the pictures by which class of vertebrate they are an example of.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
- color coded dots could be put on the back to allow the child to check the work
Variations and Extensions
- models of animals could also be used instead of pictures
Make Your Own
- Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives by David Gettman, pages 195-197
Bone by Bone: Comparing Animal Skeletons by Sara Levine: