|Welcome to Montessori Album!|
In addition to the free materials here, please consider my new store Phonics and Stuff at Teachers Pay Teachers for additional educational items. Thanks!
- Invite your student to join you at a workplace.
- Say: “We will continue to listen to African Adventures”.
- Examine the schedule for day 3 (page 26). What time was lunch?
- Page 27 – What did the narrator see and how does she feel about it?
- Compare the female and the male lion on the picture on page 27. What do we call a female lion? (lion, lioness)
- Ask, “What do we call a group of lions?” (pride)
- Page 28-29 Ask: “What three interesting facts did you learn about lions?”
- Page 30 – Summarize what the narrator’s afternoon.
- Lay out the pictures of all the animals in front of your student.
- Go over the name of each one.
- Lay out the cards with the pictures of the animals in one pile and the labels of the animals in another. Have your student match the cards to the labels (zebra, hippopotamus, rhinoceros, lion, ostrich, gorilla, giraffe, leopard antelope, gazelle, wildebeest).
- Match the cards (zebra, hippopotamus, rhinoceros, lion, ostrich, gorilla, giraffe, leopard antelope, gazelle, wildebeest) to the animal replicas.
Points of Interest
- Students will learn about lions and their family structure and reinforce their recognition of African animals.
- Vocabulary: lion, lioness, pride, elephant, cheetah, gazelle, giraffe, wildebeest, gorilla, ostrich, rhinoceros, hippopotamus, leopard, hyena, porcupine, velvet monkey, impala, zebra, honey badger, dik-dik, mongoose, baboon.
Control of Error
- Suggested time: 45 mins- 60 mins
Variations and Extensions
- Ask your student to make a connection with the book and to tell you which animals the narrator has seen thus far.
- Arrange the cards in order of the animal’s size.
- For students who are starting to read, match the labels to the animal replicas, using cards as a control. Have the students write down the names after they finish the matching.
Where to Buy
Brainy Kit Africa Box provides the necessary materials.