|We've updated our prices on products from many online Montessori stores! If we've missed your favorite store, please let us know!|
|Math - Linear Counting|
|Age||3.5 - 4|
|Prerequisites||ability to count to ten|
recognizes numerals 1-10
small paper slips with numerals 1-9
container for bead stair
container for numerals
square of black felt
This activity helps the child learn to associate the quantities 1 through 9 with their numerals.
It also introduces the child to the material used in the Teens Beads, the Teens Board, the Short Chains, the Long Chains, Addition With Bead Bars, Subtraction With Bead Bars, and Multiplication With Bead Bars.
- Carry the work to a mat or table. If done at a table, use a large table mat.
- Place the bead bars randomly on the middle of the mat.
- Find the 1 bead bar and place it near the bottom of the black mat.
- Find the 2 bar and place it above the first bead bar. Continue in this way until all the bead bars have been placed in order.
- Place the numeral cards in random order along the bottom of the mat.
- Take the 1 bead bar and place it in the upper left corner of the mat. Point to it and say, "This is 1."
- Take the 1 numeral and set it to the right of the bead bar. Point to it and say, "This says 1."
- Present the rest of bead bars with numerals in order in the same way.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Creating the triangle.
Variations and Extensions
The bead stair consists of 9 segments of wire strung with one to nine beads. Every number of beads is done in a different color: 1-red, 2-green, 3-peach, 4-yellow, 5-light blue, 6-lavender, 7-white, 8-brown, 9-dark blue. The beads should be as spherical as possible so that they are equally wide as long. They should measure between 7 and 8mm in diameter.
Make Your Own
See the Make Your Own section in Multiplication With Bead Bars for bead suppliers and prices.
Where to Buy
Prices and links checked: 31 July 2020
|Bead Stair 1-9|
|Montessori N' Such||$3.00|
|5 Bead Stairs|
|Materials Co. of Boston
|Montessori N' Such
fused nylon beads
|Bead Stair Tray|
|Materials Co. of Boston||$9.00|
|Montessori N' Such||$7.50|
|Bead Stair Box|
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, page 19