From Montessori Album
|Welcome to Montessori Album!|
In addition to the free materials here, please consider my new store Phonics and Stuff at Teachers Pay Teachers for additional educational items. Thanks!
|Math - Linear Counting|
|Age||4.5 - 5|
|Prerequisites||Teens Board |
Association of Beads and Cards
|Materials||board with a 10 x 10 grid |
square tiles with numbers 1-100
bowl or basket
In the activity, the child practices counting linearly from one to one-hundred.
- Carry the board and container of number tiles to a mat or table.
- Sort the number tiles into columns by tens place. Don't worry about getting them in the correct order within each column.
- Starting with 1 in the upper left corner, lay out the number tiles in order.
- Continue until all of the number tiles are in the correct place.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
- An alternative would be to have a 99 board. This would start with zero in the upper left corner, and go up to 99. This could be less confusing for children as the 20 would be on the same row with 21, 22, 23, etc.
- Versions of the board could be made to help teach skip counting (preparation for multiplication). There could be 8 of these. The first one would be two squares wide by ten squares high to teach counting by twos. The next three squares wide by ten squares high to teach counting by threes. And so forth.
- Could be done with Roman Numerals
- Fill in a blank paper hundred chart. There is a printable version at Math-Aids.com that lets you leave some or all of the numbers blank to be filled in.
Make Your Own
Many different materials could be used for the number tiles. They could be cut from mat-board, a thin sheet of wood, Masonite, or heavy plastic. You could also use small ceramic, glass, or wooden tiles (or these wooden tiles). Then, depending on the material used, the numerals 1-100 could be painted, engraved or wood-burned on. Numbers could also be printed off and glued on.
The board could be made of mat-board, wood, or Masonite. Make the size of the grid on the board based on the size of the tiles used. Attach trim around the outside edge.
This hundred board was made by painting gold lines on a square of felt.
Source:What Walk Beside Me
Where to Buy
A2Z Montessori Australia AUS$59.00
Absorbent Montessori $33.00 (with control chart)
Adena $20.41 (no control chart)
Affordable Montessori $39.00 (with control chart)
Albanesi $102.00 (card tiles) (with control chart)
Albanesi $161.00 (wooden tiles) (with control chart)
Albanesi $90.00 (plastic tiles) (board and tile storage built into tray)
Alison's $30.00 (wooden tiles) (wooden control chart)
Alison's $35.95 (magnetic board and tiles) (laminated control chart)
Alison's $65.00 (wooden tiles) (no control chart)
Best Montessori Toys $20.34 (wooden tiles) (control charts)
Bruins $65.00 (no control chart)
Cabdev $72.00 (plastic tiles) (no control chart)
Caliber $21.99 (wooden tiles) (no control chart)
E & O $95.00 (with control chart)
ETC Montessori $54.00 (wooden tiles)(no control chart)
Grandpas $25.00 (wooden tiles) (no control chart)
Hello Wood $79.00 (wooden tiles) (no control chart)
IFIT $23.00 (wooden tiles)(no control chart)
Juliana Group $93.80 (plastic tiles) (with control chart)
Juliana Group $166.60 (wooden tiles) (with control chart)
Jump Start $24.95 (plastic tiles)(no control chart)
Kid Advance $24.99 (wooden tiles) (no control chart)
Materials Company of Boston $70.00 (wooden tiles)(no control chart)
Montessori Buy $26.70 (wooden tiles) (no control chart)
Montessori Concepts $22.00 (wooden tiles) (no control chart)
Montessori Education Supplies $28.50 (with control chart)
Montessori Land $36.00 (wooden tiles) (no control chart)
Montessori Outlet $22.95 (wooden tiles) (no control chart)
Montessori Stores $61.00 (no control chart)
Nienhuis $85.50 (wooden tiles) (no control chart)
Thinkamajigs (AMI) $88.95
Meroco Montessori $15.5 (Hundred Board)
Magnetic Board & Tiles
Jump Start $29.95 (with control chart)
Alison's $7.00 (wooden, framed)
ETC Montessori $12.00
Hello Wood $17.00
Jump Start $6.95 (framed)
Kid Advance $2.50
Materials Company of Boston $10.00
Montessori Concepts $2.90
Montessori Outlet $0.95
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, page 85-87