Other Methods of Education
From Montessori Album
|Welcome to Montessori Album! Happy 2020!|
In addition to the free materials here, please consider my new store Phonics and Stuff at Teachers Pay Teachers for additional educational items. Thanks!
- Real "living" books are used instead of textbooks and workbooks.
- Instead of tests or worksheets, children describe in their own words what they learned about a topic (called "narration").
- Children are encouraged to have a personal relationship with the material studied.
- There are no forms of external motivation such as grades or rewards.
- Short lessons (10-15 minutes) in each subject area are given in the morning, and afternoons are left for free study.
- Very centered on Christianity, but can also be useful for non-Christians.
Tools of the Mind
- Developed by Elena Bodrova and Deborah J. Leong, based on the theories of Lev Vygotsky
- Pretty classrooms with lots of natural materials
- Art is incorporated in all areas of the curriculum.
- Based on the quasi-religious ideas of Rudolph Steiner including reincarnation and astrology
- Beginning reading (ABC's) not started until first grade based on the idea that the child's spirit hasn't finished incarnating in the child's body before then
- Left-handed children are often made to use their right hand instead
- Children are not taught to distinguish between fantasy and reality (fairy tales and mythology taught in place of history)