Addition Snake Game
From Montessori Album
|Addition Snake Game|
|Math - Memory Work|
|Materials||Snake Game Set|
This activity teaches the child that when we add up smaller numbers we recombine them into groups of 10. This helps prepare the child to do Multiplication With Bead Bars.
- Take the material to a mat or table. If at a table, a table mat will be needed.
- Remove the black and white bead bars from the box and place them randomly on the mat. Then, starting with the 1 bead, arrange them in a bead stair.
- Leave the first box open. Open the next box and remove some colored bead bars and place them randomly on the mat. (For the first presentation, use one of each plus an extra 5 bar so the number will come out even.) Then, put the lid back on the middle box and arrange the colored bead bars in a gently curving line.
- Begin counting the bead bars from the left and stop when you get to ten.
- Leave the counter where it is to hold your place. Get a ten bar from the third box and set it along the top of the bead you have just counted. Count the remaining beads on the bead bar on which you stopped.
- Place the appropriate bead bar from the black and white bead stair to hold the place for the remaining beads on the other bead bar.
- Place the counted bead bars in the box for the black and white bead bars.
- Continue counting tens starting with the black bead bar.
- Replace with ten bars as you go.
- Continue until all of the bead bars have been replaced with ten bars.
- To check your work, take the bead bars out of the box.
- Place the tens vertically in a row.
- Take one of the bead bars and place it next to the first ten bar.
- Count how many more beads are needed to make ten.
- Add the complementary bead bar.
- Continue matching tens in this way.
 Points of Interest
 Control of Error
 Variations and Extensions
The Addition Snake Game material consists of three boxes of bead bars on a small tray. The first box is black with a white lid and holds the black and white bead stair. The second box is red and holds several of each of the colored bead bars. The third box is gold and holds a number of ten bars.
This lesson works much better with fused beads rather than beads that are strung on wire. This makes it much easier to see what bead bars are equivalent without the wire ends getting in the way.
 Where to Buy
Affordable Montessori $35.00
Alison's $30.00 (fused beads)
Creative Learning $37.00
E & O $120.00
Hello Wood $138.00
Kid Advance $29.99
Montessori Concepts $32.00
Montessori Land $49.00
Montessori N' Such $46.00
Montessori Outlet $25.95
Nienhuis $118.60 (nylon beads)
Nienhuis $93.80 (fused nylon beads)
Nienhuis $139.90 (glass beads)