From Montessori Album
|Practical Life - Sewing|
|Materials||lace with a knot in one end |
large wooden beads
basket or other container
- Carry the basket to a mat or table. Put it in the upper left corner.
- Smooth out the strings to be sure there are no tangles or knots.
- Hold the end of the string in one hand and hold the bead in the other. Put the string through the hole in the bead.
- Hold the end of the string with one hand and slide the bead down the string toward the knot with the other.
- To take the beads off the string, hold the other beads in place with one hand and slide the end-most bead off with the other.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
- Different sizes and types of beads can be used.
- Bead stringing can also be done as an art activity.
- Bead stringing could also be done as an exercise in matching patterns.
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, page 39
- Teach Me to Do It Myself by Maja Pitamic, pages 38-39