|Sensorial - Visual Discrimination of Size|
|Age||2.5 - 3.5|
|Prerequisites||small muscle coordination |
|Materials||set of Broad Stair prisms|
Also called the Brown Stair.
Use of this material teaches the child visual discrimination of thickness.
- Starting with the thinnest prism, carry the prisms one-by-one to a mat. Lay them out randomly, but all aligned vertically.
- Find the thickest and the thinnest of the prisms and set them at the bottom of the mat. Point to each and say to the child, "This is thick. This is thin." Then mix the two prisms back in with the others.
- Take the thickest prism and set it in the upper left-hand corner of the mat. Then find the next thickest and set it to the right of the first.
- Continue until all of the prisms have been put in order creating a stair.
- To put the work away, carry the prisms back to the shelf one at a time starting with the thickest one.
Segment on Broad Stair begins at 15:20.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
Where to Buy
Affordable Montessori $79.00
Affordable Montessori $129.00
Alison's $52.00 (natural wood)
Best Montessori Toys $74.99
Cabdev $165.00 (includes spare 1cm prism)
Creative Learning $55.95
E & O $178.00
Hello Wood $154.00
Juliana Group $151.20
Kid Advance $55.99
Montessori Concepts $48.00
Montessori Land $74.00
Montessori Outlet $69.95 (brown lacquer)
Montessori Outlet $69.95 (clear lacquer)
Nienhuis $155.50 (brown lacquer)
Nienhuis $159.00 (clear lacquer)
Meroco Montessori $28 (Brown Stair)
- Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives by David Gettman, pages 76-78