From Montessori Album
|Math - Introduction to the Decimal System|
|Prerequisites||Introduction to the Cards|
|Materials||1 set of large number cards|
This activity teaches the child...
- Lay out the unit cards along the right edge of the rug. "1 unit, 2 units, 3 units..."
- Lay out the ten cards to the left of the unit cards. "1 ten, 2 tens, 3 tens..."
- Lay out the hundred cards to the left of the ten cards. "1 hundred, 2 hundreds, 3 hundreds..."
- Lay out the thousand card to the left of the hundred cards. "1 thousand."
- Have the child fetch one card at a time as was done with the introduction to the beads.
After a lot of practice with fetching, present the child with a card and ask him to name it.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
- The same activity could be done with all of the thousand cards. The main reason they are not used normally is so the card layout will match the bead layout which (due to the cost) only has one beaded thousand cube.
Make Your OwnPrintable Large Number Cards
Where to Buy
see Number Cards