|Math - Memory Work|
|Materials||division board |
box of 81 green beads
box of 9 skittles
small green bowl
container of division problem slips
sheet of paper
This activity teaches the child division facts.
- Carry the material to a table or a mat and set up as shown below. If at a mat, the child will need a clipboard under the paper.
- Draw a slip of paper with a division problem from the cup. In this case 12 ÷ 3 =
- Copy the problem onto the sheet of paper.
- Count out twelve beads into the green bowl.
- Place three skittles in the first three spots at the top of the board. Explain that each skittle represents one person.
- Using the beads from the green bowl, place one bead under each skittle in the first row. (You might say, "One for you, one for you, and one for you.") Then place another bead under each skittle in the second row. (As you might do when dealing cards.)
- Continue until all twelve beads have been placed on the board.
- Ask the child how many beads each person (skittle) has. Write the answer on the paper.
- Replace the beads and skittles in their boxes, and select another problem.
Points of Interest
- sharing the beads through the skittles
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
- This same activity could be done with Lego people on a printed board:
- The child could do a Division Booklet.
- Here's a nice blog post on the subject from What Did We Do All Day
Make Your Own
| Division Board
|Printable Division Problem Slips||Division Booklet|
Where to Buy
Absorbent Montessori $28.00
Affordable Montessori $19.00
Alison's $36.00 (premium)
Cabdev $33.00 (premium)
E & O $39.00
ETC Montessori $27.00
Jump Start $13.95
Kid Advance $19.99
Materials Company of Boston $27.00
Montessori Buy $16.00
Montessori Concepts $12.75
Montessori Land $24.00
Montessori N' Such $22.00
Montessori Outlet $11.95
Montessori Stores $25.00
Thinkamajigs $73.95 (AMI)
merocomontessori $23 (Mutliplication Chart)