From Montessori Album
|Introduction to the Fraction Insets|
|Math - Fractions|
|Materials||four fraction skittles|
This activity introduces the child to the concept of fractions.
- Carry the fraction skittles one at a time to a mat or table. Place them in the upper right corner.
- Take the whole fraction skittle and hold it upside down. Trace the edge of the base with two fingers. "This is one whole."
- Take the halves fraction skittle and hold it upside down in the other hand to show that the two skittles are the same size.
- Set them side-by-side on the mat.
- Take the halves fraction skittle and show that it comes apart in two equal pieces. "One, two. There are two halves."
 Points of Interest
 Control of Error
 Variations and Extensions
There is a very different and separate presentation for this work at the elementary level. AMI albums do not have a primary level presentation on this material.
In elementary, children work with dividing fractions by fractions using these fraction skittles. They are quickly introduced to the concept of which is which (what is described here as the "primary presentation", and they catch on quickly. The primary presentation does not seem necessary.
 Make Your Own
- Fraction circles could be made from different colors of felt:
- (For a description of how these were made, see Counting Coconuts.)
 Printable Cards
 Where to Buy
Affordable Montessori $49.00
Creative Learning $29.95
E & 0 $88.00
Juliana Group $268.80
Kid Advance $34.99
Montessori Concepts $30.00
Montessori Land $49.00
Montessori N' Such $49.95
Montessori Outlet $39.95