From Montessori Album
|Practical Life - Care of the Environment|
|Age||3 - 5|
|Prerequisites||Eyedropper Transfer |
Using a Sponge
|Materials||metal object to polish |
jar of metal polish
dropper bottle with water
toothbrush or cotton swab
small basket for cloths
waterproof table mat
This activity teaches the child how to polish metal.
The materials should be laid out on the shelf as shown with the small basket of clean cloths next to the tray.
- Have the child put on an apron. Take a waterproof table mat to a table. Take the tray to the table.
- Set the spoon, the jar of metal polish, the dropper bottle, and the small bowl on the table mat.
- Remove the lid from the jar. Spoon one scoop of polish into the bowl. Put the lid back on the jar.
- Add a dropper-full of water to the bowl.
- Return the spoon, the jar of metal polish, and the dropper bottle to the tray.
- Take the toothbrush and mix until the polish and the water form a paste. (Add more water if necessary.)
- Take the metal object from the tray and hold in your left hand. Use your right hand to apply polish to an area of the metal object. Gently scrub.
- Set the metal object on the table mat. Rest the toothbrush on the bowl of polish.
- Take the cloth and fold it around your fingers as shown.
- Use the cloth to buff the area with the polish.
- Show the child that the cloth is now dirty. Continue polishing until polish is removed. Compare the polished area with the unpolished areas of the object.
- Take the cloth off of your fingers and place it on the mat. Put the metal object back on the tray.
- Put the dirty cloth in the laundry.
- Wash out the bowl and the toothbrush and return them to the tray.
- Clean the mat with the sponge.
- Return the tray to the shelf. Take a new cloth and put it on the tray so the work will be ready for the next person.
 Points of Interest
 Control of Error
 Variations and Extensions
 Make Your Own
Silver polish can be made by mixing 2 parts baking soda with 1 part salt.
The cotton cloths should be about 3 inches square. These can be cut out from an old T-shirt.