Number Rods With Numerals
|Number Rods With Numerals|
|Math - Numbers 0-10|
|Age||3 - 3.5|
|Prerequisites||Number Rods |
|Materials||Number Rods |
This activity teaches the child the association of the quantity and the symbol.
- Take the material to a mat.
Grade the rods and lay out the numeral cards along the bottom edge of the mat.
- Isolate the 1 rod, place your hand on it and say, "One."
Find the numeral card 1. Pick it up and say, "One." Lean the card against the rod.
- Move the 2 rod down and count it, placing your hand on each segment as go count: "One, two."
Find the numeral cards 2. pick it up and say, "Two." Lean the card against the rod.
- Continue in this way until all of the rods and numerals have been matched.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
- Ability to measure by smallest unit
- Visual: the bands of color and the graded length of the rods
Variations and Extensions
- Place the rods on another rug across the room and ask the child to bring you number 3. etc.
- Without moving the stair, ask child to give you the rod that is one less than (or one more than) 3.
- To give the child a sensorial impression of quantity
- To be able to name in succession the qualities
- Introduction to measurement and the decimal system
Ten wooden rods varying in length from 10cm (3.9 inches) to 1 meter (39.5 inches). The segments are painted alternately red and blue with number 1 being red. The end measurement of each rod is 2.5cm square.
Where to Buy
Affordable Montessori $59.00 (regular)
Affordable Montessori $99.00 (premium)
Alison's $50.00 (with number cards)
Creative Learning $39.95
E & O $180.00
Hello Wood $181.00 (red and blue)
Hello Wood $166.00 (red and unpainted wood)
Kid Advance $39.99
Montessori Concepts $36.00
Montessori Land $50.00
Montessori Outlet $42.95
Best Montessori Toys $21.78 (Digital stick)
Meroco Montessori $13 (Small Numerical Rods)
Creative Learning $9.95
E & O $21.00
Kid Advance $9.99
Montessori Outlet $4.95 (print)
Montessori Outlet $4.95 (cursive)
Nienhuis $11.90 (cursive)
Nienhuis $11.90 (print)
Nienhuis $11.90 (USA style print)
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, pages 80-81, 110-111