Safety Pin Frame
|Safety Pin Frame|
|Practical Life - Dressing|
|Prerequisites||Button Frame |
Handling Sharp Objects
|Materials||safety pin frame|
In this activity the child learns how to use safety pins.
- Take the Safety Pin Frame to a mat or table.
- Pinch the clasp of the pin between the thumb and index finger of the left hand.
- Pinch the wire part of the pin with the right hand and press with the thumb until the pin comes free of the clasp.
Gently release the pin to the side of the clasp to allow the safety pin to open.
- Hold the fabric in place with the left hand while sliding the pin out with the right hand.
- Close the safety pin by pinching the clasp part with the left hand and pinching the pin into place with the right.
- Set the pin above the frame.
- Remove the other pins in the same way and set them above the frame.
- Open the fabric flaps.
- Close the fabric flaps.
- Open one of the pins.
- Grasp the two layers of fabric with the left hand.
- Insert the point of the pin into the top of the fabric. Check to make sure that it has gone through both layers.
- Tilt the pin so it is pointing up. Press until it has emerged back through the top of the fabric.
- Close the pin.
- Pin the other flaps in the same way.
Points of Interest
- learning to use a sharp object safely
Control of Error
- If the pins are not put in correctly, the flaps will fall open.
Variations and Extensions
Make Your Own
Where to Buy
(For sets of dressing frames and stands see Dressing Frames.)
Absorbent Montessori $12.00
Affordable Montessori $12.00
ETC Montessori $35.00
Kid Advance $11.99
Lord Co. $42.50
Material Co. of Boston $33.00
Montessori Concepts $9.00
Montessori Outlet $14.95
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, pages 23, 91