From Montessori Album
|Language - Writing|
|Prerequisites||Sandpaper Letters |
|Materials||fine sand or salt |
tray of a contrasting color
This activity allows the child to practice forming written letters.
- Allow the child to experiment with the sand tray by making basic shapes or lines.
- Select a letter to practice. Trace the sandpaper letter, then make the same letter in the sand.
- Show the child how to rub their fingers together over the tray to clean them.
- Show the child how to gently shake the tray side-to-side to clear it.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
It is reversable.
Variations and Extensions
- A chopstick or other tool could be used to practice with the sand tray.
The tray and the sand should be of very different colors so the letters will show up more.
Make Your Own
- This sand tray was made from a shadow box:
- Source: What DID We Do All Day?
- Salt can be used instead of sand:
- Source: A Handmade Childhood
- This was a zen sand garden purchased from a dollar store: