From Montessori Album
|We've updated our prices on products from many online Montessori stores! If we've missed your favorite store, please let us know!|
|Practical Life - Food Preparation|
|Age||3 - 4|
|Prerequisites||Handling Sharp Objects |
|Materials||slice of bread |
pat of butter
small dish for butter
In this activity the child learns how to butter bread.
- Put a slice a of bread, a clean knife, and a pat of butter on the tray
- Take the tray to a table.
- Place the napkin in your lap.
- Get a little bit of butter with the knife.
- Hold the bread steady with the other hand, and spread the butter on the bread.
- Get more butter with the knife and spread it on the bread. Continue until all the butter has been spread on the bread.
- Set the knife down and eat the bread.
- Clean up: Wash the plate and dry it, then return it to the tray.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
- Jam, peanut butter, apple butter, or cream cheese could be used instead of butter.
- This example includes a place mat:
- Source: Counting Coconuts