From Montessori Album
|Language - Writing|
|Prerequisites||Double Sandpaper Letters|
|Materials||two boxes of letters in different colors|
This activity teaches the child about English digraphs, sounds that are made with two letters.
- Take the digraph boxes to a mat.
- Take the two letters of the digraphs out of the first box. Hold them together, one in each hand, to emphasize that they are a unit.
- Place the letters together on the mat.
- Think of a word that begins with that phonogram. Use the other color of letters to make the rest of the word.
- Think of a word that ends with that phonogram.
- Make other words with that phonogram as long as the child shows interest.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, pages 112, 130-131