From Montessori Album
|Welcome to Montessori Album! We've been online for over ten years (yay!), but unfortunately we've had a lot of spam accounts over time. We didn't have a good way of sorting them out...so took the extreme measure of wiping everything before November 2019.|
We're so sorry! We've setup measures to prevent such drastic action again. Please recreate your account if it doesn't work.
|Practical Life - Fine Motor Skills|
|Materials||2 bowls |
The purpose of this activity is to teach the child how to transfer dry materials with a spoon. This activity also helps prepare the child to eat independently.
- Carry the tray to a table. Be sure that the full bowl is on the left.
- step two
- step three
Points of Interest
- Carrying the grain across
Control of Error
- The grain that is spilled (It helps if the tray is a contrasting color, so that the grain in easier to see.)
Variations and Extensions
- Different sizes of spoons could be used.
- Different shapes of bowls could be used.
- Instead of dry rice, dry beans, sand, small pasta, seeds, whole spices, or beads could be used.
- The work could be done with a funnel and a narrow bottle:
- Source:Counting Coconuts
- From Leptir Montessori Blog:
- Teach Me to Do It Myself by Maja Pitamic, pages 28-29