Handling a Book
From Montessori Album
|Welcome to Montessori Album! We've been online for over ten years (yay!), but unfortunately we've had a lot of spam accounts over time. We didn't have a good way of sorting them out...so took the extreme measure of wiping everything before November 2019.|
We're so sorry! We've setup measures to prevent such drastic action again. Please recreate your account if it doesn't work.
|Handling a Book|
|Practical Life - Care of the Environment|
This activity teaches the child how to carefully carry and turn the pages of a book.
Carrying a Book
- step one
- Show the child how to hold the page at the corner without crumpling it.
- Gently move the page all the way to the other side.
Returning a book to the shelf
- Turn the book so it is right-side up with the binding facing out.
- Hold the book shut in one hand.
- With the other hand, hold open a place between two books on the shelf.
- Slide the bottom corner of the book in first, making sure that it stays shut. Then push the book in the rest of the way.
- Try to get the edges of the books flush with each other.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
- Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives by David Gettman, pages 51-55
- Montessori Read & Write by Lynne Lawrence, pages 41-43