|Welcome to Montessori Album! We've been online for over ten years (yay!), but unfortunately we've had a lot of spam accounts over time. We didn't have a good way of sorting them out...so took the extreme measure of wiping everything before November 2019.|
We're so sorry! We've setup measures to prevent such drastic action again. Please recreate your account if it doesn't work.
|Sensorial - Visual Discrimination of Size|
|Age||2.5 - 3.5|
|Prerequisites||eye-hand coordination |
small muscle coordination
Practical Life activities
|Materials||knobbed cylinder block 1 |
knobbed cylinder block 2
knobbed cylinder block 3
knobbed cylinder block 4
Use of this material teaches the child visual discrimination of dimension. This activity also helps the child develop their pincer grip which is necessary for writing.
The cylinder blocks can be done at a mat or table. If you would like the child to work at a mat, have the child unroll the mat before getting the cylinder block.
- Bring the child to the shelf and invite them to take the knobbed cylinder block.
- Take the cylinder block to a mat or table and place the it at the top of the workspace. (Be sure the cylinder blocks are placed in the correct direction as shown in the pictures.)
- Take out all the cylinders one at a time from left to right by holding the knob with a pincer grip. Place the at the bottom of the workspace in a random order.
- Indicate that you are looking for the cylinder that fits in the left-most hole.
- Select a cylinder you think will fit and try it in the first hole. If it doesn't fit, try a different one.
- Continue until all of the cylinders are back in place.
Cylinder Block 1
Cylinder Block 2
Cylinder Block 3
Cylinder Block 4
Points of Interest
- The cylinders fitting perfectly when in the correct place
- To teach the child to distinguish small differences in size.
- Exercising the pincer grip
- Left to right direction (for reading)
- Cylinders in sets of ten prepares for base-ten number system
Control of Error
The control of error lies within the materials itself.
- Seeing those that are too wide not fit
- Those that are too thin will not fit snugly
- Those that are too short or too tall will not be level
- At the least, the child will be left with one that does not fit in the end.
Variations and Extensions
All Blocks: knob, cylinder
- Establishment of Quality: large, small
- Comparatives: larger, smaller
- Superlatives: largest, smallest
- Establishment of Quality: thick, thin
- Comparatives: thicker, thinner
- Superlatives: thickest, thinnest
- No language
- Establishment of Quality: tall, short
- Comparatives: taller, shorter
- Superlatives: tallest, shortest
Where to Buy
Prices and links last checked: 26 June 2020
Set of 4
Absorbent Montessori $109.00
Absorbent Montessori $144.00
Affordable Montessori $185.00
E & O $219.00
Hello Wood $353.00
Kid Advance $139.99
Leader Joy $152.95
Montessori Concepts $153.00
Alison's $50.00 (block 1)
Alison's $50.00 (block 2)
Alison's $70.00 (block 3)
Hello Wood $79.00 (block 1)
Hello Wood $79.00 (block 2)
Hello Wood $79.00 (block 3)
Hello Wood $79.00 (block 4)
Material Company of Boston $62.00 (block 1)
Material Company of Boston $62.00 (block 2)
Material Company of Boston $62.00 (block 3)
Material Company of Boston $62.00 (block 4)
Montessori Concepts $42.00 (block 1)
Montessori Concepts $42.00 (block 2)
Montessori Concepts $42.00 (block 3)
Montessori Concepts $42.00 (block 4)
Montessori Outlet $39.95 (block 1)
Montessori Outlet $39.95 (block 2)
Montessori Outlet $39.95 (block 3)
Montessori Outlet $32.95 (block 4)
Nienhuis $82.20 (block 1)
Nienhuis $82.20 (block 2)
Nienhuis $82.20 (block 3)
Nienhuis $82.20 (block 4)
Stand for Cylinder Blocks
Affordable Montessori $119.00
Alison's $144.50 (with spots for Knobless Cylinders)
E & O $56.00
Kid Advance $89.99
Leader Joy $40.95
Montessori Concepts $42.00
Montessori Outlet $63.95
The third cylinder block was not part of the original set as designed by Maria Montessori.
- Dr. Montessori's Own Handbook by Maria Montessori, pages 29-33
- Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives by David Gettman, pages 72-74
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, pages 50-51