Moveable Alphabet with Objects or Pictures
|Moveable Alphabet with Objects or Pictures|
|Language - Writing|
|Prerequisites||Phonetic Words with the Moveable Alphabet|
|Materials||movable alphabet set |
small objects with phonetic names
(or pictures of objects with phonetic names)
small box or basket
In this activity the child uses the Movable Alphabet to form the names of phonetic objects.
Picture cards to use with this lesson are available to print below.
- Take the Movable Alphabet and the container of phonetic objects to a mat.
- Select an object from the container and set it on the mat.
- Say the name of the object aloud. Listen for the first sound in the word. Find the correct letter and place it next to the object. Then say the word slowly again to determine the middle sound, and then the ending sound.
- Select another object from the container and repeat the process.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
The small objects used in this activity are also used in other several other language activities. It can be nice to have a large collection of these and then swap them out from time to time.
See the page on Miniature Objects for more information on putting together a collection of objects for this activity.
Make Your Own
See the Make Your Own section of the Miniature Objects page for information on how to make these objects.
Printable pictures and Movable Alphabet tiles:
|Word Pictures Cards||Cursive||Semi-cursive||Semi-cursive 2|
Where to Buy
- Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives by David Gettman, pages 142-145
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, pages 76-77, 96
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, pages 110, 126-127