Our latest free printables are cards for the Logical Adjective Game and the Logical Adverb Game.
|Language - Writing|
|Prerequisites||Sandpaper Letters |
Rough and Smooth Boards
|Materials||fine sand or salt |
tray of a contrasting color
This activity allows the child to practice forming written letters.
- Allow the child to experiment with the sand tray by making basic shapes or lines.
- Select a letter to practice. Trace the sandpaper letter, then make the same letter in the sand.
- Show the child how to rub their fingers together over the tray to clean them.
- Show the child how to gently shake the tray side-to-side to clear it.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
The child can compare their writing in the sand tray to a sandpaper letter.
Variations and Extensions
- A chopstick or other tool could be used to practice with the sand tray.
The tray and the sand should be of very different colors so the letters will show up more.
Make Your Own
- This sand tray was made from a shadow box:
- Source: What DID We Do All Day?
- Salt can be used instead of sand:
- Source: A Handmade Childhood
- This was a zen sand garden purchased from a dollar store:
Where to Buy
Prices and links checked: 07 October 2020
(Amazon/Bookshop are affiliate links, which help cover costs of running the site.)
|Best Montessori Toys
|Montessori N' Such||$26.00|