|Welcome to Montessori Album! We've been online for over ten years (yay!), but unfortunately we've had a lot of spam accounts over time. We didn't have a good way of sorting them out...so took the extreme measure of wiping everything before November 2019.|
We're so sorry! We've setup measures to prevent such drastic action again. Please recreate your account if it doesn't work.
|Sensorial - Sense of Temperature|
|Age||3 - 5|
|Prerequisites||Rough and Smooth Boards |
|Materials||set of thermic tablets|
This activity helps the child develop their sense of temperature.
- Carry the material to a mat or table. Set the box in the upper right corner of the work-space.
- Remove the tablets from the box one at a time in mixed up order. Place them in a stack in the center of the work-space.
- The child can put on a blindfold at this point or close their eyes.
- Take the tablet from the top of the stack and touch it to your cheek to feel how warm it is.
- Set the first tablet below the stack.
- Select the next thermic tablet from the stack and hold it your other cheek to compare the two.
- If the second one does not match, set it to the right side of the stack.
- When a match is found, place the pair in the upper left corner of the work-space.
- Return the unmatched tablets to the stack.
- Repeat this process until all the tablet have been matched.
Points of Interest
- the blindfold
- touching the materials to their cheek
Control of Error
The tablets look different. After the child has matched the tablets by touch, they can look to see if the tablets match.
Variations and Extensions
Pairs of tablets made of: glass, cork, slate, felt, wood, metal
Make Your Own
Where to Buy
Prices and links last checked: 19 May 2020
Absorbent Montessori $27.00
E & O $45.00
Kid Advance $23.99
Materials Company of Boston $44.00
Montessori Outlet $31.95
- Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives by David Gettman, pages 108-110