Addition With Number Rods
From Montessori Album
|Welcome to Montessori Album! Happy 2020!|
In addition to the free materials here, please consider my new store Phonics and Stuff at Teachers Pay Teachers for additional educational items. Thanks!
|Addition With Number Rods|
|Math - Memory Work|
|Age||4 - 5|
|Prerequisites||Number Rods With Numerals|
|Materials||Number Rods |
numeral cards 1-10
2 "+" signs
2 "=" signs
This activity introduces the child to simple addition facts.
- Bring the material to the mat. Grade the rods.
- Place the 1 rod and the 2 rod end to end. Ask the child to find one rod that is as long as the two put together.
- Place the 3 rod below to compare. "This rod and this rod put together are the same as this rod."
- "Here's another way we can say it:" place the symbols as shown.
- Count the rods and place the appropriate number cards. "One plus two is the same as three."
- Scoot the number cards down and add the second set of symbols. "One plus two equals three."
Points of Interest
- To show how we get larger numbers from smaller ones.
- To show the limits of base 10.
- Inquiry into the concept of one half.
Control of Error
- The ten rod.
- The visual shape of the layout.
Variations and Extensions
Where to Buy
Affordable Montessori $59.00 (regular)
Affordable Montessori $99.00 (premium)
Alison's $50.00 (with number cards)
Creative Learning $39.95
E & O $180.00
Hello Wood $181.00 (red and blue)
Hello Wood $166.00 (red and unpainted wood)
Kid Advance $39.99
Montessori Concepts $36.00
Montessori Land $50.00
Montessori Outlet $42.95