|Welcome to Montessori Album!|
In addition to the free materials here, please consider my new store Phonics and Stuff at Teachers Pay Teachers for additional educational items. Thanks!
|Sensorial - Visual Discrimination of Form|
In this activity the child assembles a three-dimensional puzzle made up of 8 wooden blocks. This puzzle is the physical representation of the binomial formula: (a+b)3. This activity prepares the child to use the Trinomial Cube. It also indirectly prepares the child to learn Algebra later on.
- Take the material to a mat or table. Place the box in the upper left-hand corner.
- Open the box and place the lid as shown in the picture.
- Take out each block of the top layer one at a time, and place them on the lid as shown.
- Move the blocks of the top layer to the side.
- Take out each block of the bottom layer one at a time, and place them on the lid as shown.
- Move the blocks of the bottom layer to the side.
- Show that all the blocks in the bottom layer are the same height, and all the blocks in the top layer are the same height.
- Move the blocks of the bottom layer back onto the lid one at a time, matching the colors.
- Move the blocks of the bottom layer back into the box one at a time.
- Move the blocks of the top layer back onto the lid one at a time, matching the colors.
- Move the blocks of the top layer back into the box one at a time.
- Let the child have a turn.
Teacher training lecture on the Binomial Cube.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
TED Talk on the Binomial Cube used at different levels.
Where to Buy
Bruins $56.00 (unpainted wood)
Creative Learning $29.95
E & O $109.00
Hello Wood $99.00
Juliana Group $96.60
Kid Advance $23.99
Montessori Land $34.00
Montessori Outlet $17.95
Meroco Montessori $20.5 (Binomial Cube)
- Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives by David Gettman, pages 94-97