From Montessori Album
|Welcome to Montessori Album! Happy 2020!|
In addition to the free materials here, please consider my new store Phonics and Stuff at Teachers Pay Teachers for additional educational items. Thanks!
|Math - Money|
|Materials||2 of each type of coin |
two bowls or boxes
In this activity the child matches pairs of coins. This acts as sensorial introduction to the coins themselves before any reference is made to their value. It is done the same way as in Object to Object Matching.
- Take the material to a mat or table.
- Lay out the coins from the first bowl in a column along the left edge of the mat.
- Take a coin from the second bowl and look for its match among the first set of coins.
- Match the other coins in the same way.
- Continue until all the coins have been matched.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
- Use a Mystery Bag to practice matching the coins by touch.
- Could be done with coins of other countries.
- Teach the song "Doughnut Shop." It mentions a five-cent-piece, then refers to it as a nickel later.
Dollar coins and half-dollar coins are nice to have but not necessary for this activity. Have the four most commonly used coins in the U.S.