Color Box 1
From Montessori Album
|Welcome to Montessori Album! Happy 2020!|
In addition to the free materials here, please consider my new store Phonics and Stuff at Teachers Pay Teachers for additional educational items. Thanks!
|Color Box 1|
|Sensorial - Visual Discrimination of Color|
|Age||2.5 - 3|
|Prerequisites||awareness of color|
|Materials||Color Box 1 set of tablets|
Use of this material teaches the child visual discrimination of the primary colors. This activity prepares the child to use Color Box 2.
- Invite the child to the lesson. Name the lesson. Take the box of tablets to a rug or table.
- Step two
- Step three
- Step four
- Step five
- Step six
Originally, flat spools of thread were used for this material. The way the tablets are held and the unpainted wooden ends are carried over from this time. Both are really unnecessary with painted tablets.
Make Your Own
The tablets could be made without the unpainted ends. They could even be square instead of rectangular.
- The tablets could be made by wrapping and gluing paper cut from paint samples around this pieces of wood:
- (For a more detailed description of how this was done see A Handmade Childhood.)
Where to Buy
Affordable Montessori $9.00
Creative Learning $6.95
E & O $35.00
Hello Wood $24.00
Kid Advance $6.99
Montessori Concepts $6.00
Montessori Land $13.00
Montessori N' Such $13.00
Montessori Outlet $7.95
Montessori Stores $18.00
merocomontessori $7.5 (Color Tablets Box 1)
- Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives by David Gettman, pages 80-84
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, pages 61, 94