Introduction to the Beads
|Welcome to Montessori Album!|
In addition to the free materials here, please consider my new store Phonics and Stuff at Teachers Pay Teachers for additional educational items. Thanks!
|Introduction to the Beads|
|Math - Introduction to the Decimal System|
|Prerequisites||Cards and Counters|
|Materials||1 unit bead |
1 ten bar
1 hundred square
1 thousand cube
This activity is the child's introduction to the Golden Bead material. This material is a concrete representation of the decimal system.
- Take the tray to a table or mat. Be sure that the thousand cube is on the left and the unit bead is on the right.
- Take out the unit bead. "This is one. We also call it a unit."
- Take out the ten bar. "This is ten."
- "Let's see how many unit beads there are in a ten. One, two, three..."
- Take out the hundred square. "This is a hundred."
- "Let's see how many tens there are in a hundred. One ten, two tens, three tens..."
- Take out the thousand cube. "This is a thousand."
- "Let's see how many hundreds there are in a thousand. One hundred, two hundreds, three hundreds..."
- Lay out all of the beads and name them one more time.
- Do a three period lesson.
Points of Interest
- The large place values can be exciting to children.
- Seeing how heavy the thousand is.
Control of Error
- The directress' and the child’s own knowledge
Variations and Extensions
- A tray containing 1 golden bead unit, 1 golden ten-bar, 1 golden hundred square and 1 thousand cube. - A small mat for the table.
Where to Buy
Absorbent Montessori $44.00
Affordable Montessori $39.00
E & O $92.00
ETC Montessori $100.00
Jump Start $6.95
Jump Start $31.95
Kid Advance $35.99
Materials Company of Boston $90.00
Montessori Buy $38.47
Montessori Concepts $ 30.00
Montessori Education Supplies $24.50
Montessori Land $46.00
Montessori N' Such $56.25
Montessori Outlet $38.95
Nienhuis $65.50 (fused nylon beads)
Nienhuis $137.70 (individual nylon beads)
Nienhuis $159.50 (glass beads)
- Maria Montessori - The Discovery of the Child, chapter 19, page 276 (Random House 1967 edition)