Introduction to the Fraction Insets
From Montessori Album
|Welcome to Montessori Album! Happy 2020!|
In addition to the free materials here, please consider my new store Phonics and Stuff at Teachers Pay Teachers for additional educational items. Thanks!
|Introduction to the Fraction Insets|
|Math - Fractions|
|Materials||ten metal fraction insets|
This activity teaches the child the names of fractions up to tenths.
- "These are called fractions. The word fraction means to break apart."
- "This circle isn't broken apart. It is in one whole piece."
- "This circle is broken in two pieces."
- "With fractions, the pieces have to be the same size."
- "This circle is broken into three pieces that are all the same size."
- Teach the terms whole, half, and third. Do a three period lesson.
- Introduce more fractions and do another three period lesson.
- Introduce the remaining fractions if the child shows interest, or do the rest at a later time.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
- Food is excellent for demonstrating fractions.
Where to Buy
Adena $67.05 (metal)
Affordable Montessori $89.00 (metal)
Albanesi $209.00 (metal)
Alison's $100.00 (metal)
Alison's $200.00 (wooden, "premium quality")
Bruins $305.00 (metal)
Cabdev $325.00 (metal)
Cabdev $209.00 (wooden)
Cabdev $91.00 (metal, "economy", no stands)
Caliber $66.99 (metal)
Creative Learning $64.95 (metal, no stands)
E & O $290.00 (metal)
Grandpas $89.00 (wooden)
Hello Wood $169.00 (acrylic)
Juliana Group $195.75 (metal)
Kid Advance $64.99 (metal)
Montessori Concepts $63.00 (metal)
Montessori Land $99.00 (metal)
Montessori N' Such $92.00 (metal, no stand)
Montessori Outlet $38.95 (wooden, no stand)
Thinkamajigs $99.95 (metal, includes stands)
Stands for Fraction Insets