From Montessori Album
|Welcome to Montessori Album! Happy 2020!|
In addition to the free materials here, please consider my new store Phonics and Stuff at Teachers Pay Teachers for additional educational items. Thanks!
|Math - Linear Counting|
Also called the Cubic Chains.
This activity teaches the child skip counting which is preparation for multiplication. It also indirectly prepares the child to understand cubing numbers.
- Carry the long chains in the same way as the thousand chain.
- Lay the chain out on a long mat as shown.
- Gently pull one end of the chain until it is stretched out to its full length down the mat.
- Bring the squares, cube, and labels to the mat.
- Fold the chain into squares as shown.
- Set the squares from the tray on top to show that they are the same.
- Stack the squares and compare to the cube to show that they are the same.
- Stretch the chain back out.
- Sort the labels into columns on the tray.
- Count the beads and lay out labels as you go. Only the first segment in the chain has a label for each bead, the rest only have a label for the last bead in each segment.
- Walk along the length of the chain from the beginning and read the labels.