Rhyming Words Matching
From Montessori Album
|Welcome to Montessori Album!|
In addition to the free materials here, please consider my new store Phonics and Stuff at Teachers Pay Teachers for additional educational items. Thanks!
|Rhyming Words Matching|
|Language - Language Foundation|
|Materials||cards with pictures of rhyming objects |
small basket or tray
In this activity the child matches pairs of rhyming objects. (Rhyme matching cards pdf below.)
- Carry the basket to a mat or table. Place it in the upper right corner.
- Remove one set of cards and line them up along the left edge of the mat.
- Take one of the cards from the other stack and hold it next to the first to see if the match. Say the words aloud.
- If they don't match, try the next card.
- Continue in this way until all of the cards have been matched.
- Be sure to put the cards away in random order.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
- To help the child develop and understanding of rhyme, sing Down by the Bay with them. The adult should sing the first half of the rhyme and let the child supply the rhyming word: "Did you ever see a cat wearing a..." "Hat!"
After a lot of practice with this stage, the child may be able to make up their own silly rhymes for the song.