Association of Beads and Cards
From Montessori Album
|Association of Beads and Cards|
|Math - Introduction to the Decimal System|
|Age||4 - 5|
|Prerequisites||Bead Layout |
|Materials||large number cards |
set of golden beads
2 small bowls for unit beads
This activity teaches the child the association of the numerals and the quantities.
 Presentation 1
- step one
- step two
- step three
- The child should then return the tray to the mat. Place the number card at the top of the mat.
- Count out the ten bars as you place them on the mat. "One ten, two tens." Be sure to place the ten bars under the tens place of the card. Point to the number card, "This says two tens." Point to the ten bars, "This is two tens."
- Return the card and the beads to their places in the layouts.
- Repeat this process with a quantity of units:
- or hundreds:
- or thousands. Continue as long as the child shows interest.