From Montessori Album
|Math - Linear Counting|
|Age||4.5 - 5|
|Prerequisites||Teens Board |
Association of Beads and Cards
|Materials||hundred chain |
labels for hundred chain
pointer for counting
This activity teaches the child skip counting which is preparation for multiplication. It also indirectly prepares the child to understand squaring numbers.
- Carry the hundred chain to a long mat with two hands.
- Bring the hundred square to the mat. Sort the labels into columns by place value.
- Fold the hundred chain into a square as shown. Compare it to the hundred square.
- Set the hundred square on top to show that they are the same.
- Unfold the chain and begin counting, adding labels as you go.
- The first ten beads each get a label.
- After that, a label is placed at the end of each segment.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
Variations and Extensions
Make Your Own
Where to Buy
- The Advanced Montessori Method: The Montessori Elementary Material by Maria Montessori, pages 208-210