|Math - Linear Counting|
|Age||4.5 - 5|
10 hundred squares
1 thousand cube
pointer for counting
long mat (30' long)
This activity teaches the child skip counting which is preparation for multiplication. It also indirectly prepares the child to understand cubing numbers.
- Show the child how to carry the chain by looping a segment between the hundreds over each finger.
- Lay out the chain on a long mat as shown. Bring the thousand cube, the 10 hundred squares, the labels, and the counter.
- Have one person hold one end of the chain in place while the other person holds the opposite end and stretches the chain down the length of the mat.
- Fold the bead bars as shown to form squares of 100.
- Set the hundred squares on top to show that they are the same.
- Stack the hundred squares next to the thousand cube to show that they are the same.
- Stretch the chain back out again. Sort the labels into columns (1-10 together, 20-100 together, 110-200 together, etc.).
- Count and place labels as you go.
- Move the mat with the labels with you as you work.
- 100, 200, 300, etc. get red labels. The 1000 label at the end is green. The colors correspond to the ones used on the decimal cards.
- Walk the length of the completed chain and read the numbers on the labels.
Points of Interest
Control of Error
• Finding all labels • When he doesn´t find them all you can tell child that you are willing to do a new label but that before we need to make sure we do the correct label. • First count! • If you find that the label is there... • Oh I´m glad we found it before I do the new label, because doing a new label is a lot of work.
Variations and Extensions
Make Your Own
Where to Buy
Thousand Chain Mat
Azoka Company $65.00
Bay Area Montessori $50.00
Montessori Services $66.95
Best Montessori Toys $8 (Bead Thousand Cube)
merocomontessori $15.5 (100 yellow beads)
- The Advanced Montessori Method: The Montessori Elementary Material by Maria Montessori, pages 208-210